Monday, April 16, 2012

Day 6 (part 2), Day 7 & Home!

After leaving the orphanage, we went to our Lima hotel. We were looking forward to a hot shower and air conditioning. I find that one of the hardest things about a mission project is reintegrating yourself into the life that you usually live. That doesn't mean that you aren't changed by your experience, but no matter how great the needs are, you still have to go home. It is really hard to leave an emotionally draining experience like those beautiful children, get cleaned up, and then eat a really nice dinner. On the other hand, this is our chance to treat our Peruvian teammates and say "THANK YOU" for all the work they do with  us.

We grabbed a quick HOT shower, changed into fresh clothes (my jeans could almost walk home... nasty), and went to dinner at LarcoMar - an open air mall overlooking the Pacific Ocean. We decided to eat at Mango's, which is a wonderful restaurant. We laughed, ate, decompressed, ate, teased each other, ate, celebrated my birthday (last week), ate... you get the picture. Just in case you don't - here are a few fun ones!




The next day was Sunday, and we were able to go to a church service with our missionary, Jim, some of our translator friends, and our FANTASTIC van driver Juan and his wife, Mali. The message was fantastic! Very encouraging! After service, we headed out for a day of adventure. We went to Rustica, my favorite Peruvian buffet restaurant, shopped at the Inka Market, Polvos Azules, and Minka. All are markets with many different stands and products. We finally grabbed dinner at Pardo's, which is Derek's favorite Peruvian place, and headed to the airport. Serious tears. It is so hard to leave, even when you know you are coming back soon.

God blessed us with easy flights, short layovers, and the best customs/security experience I have ever had. Most of us were able to sleep at least a little on the overnight flight, and all of our luggage made it home intact. I think it is safe to say that we were thrilled to be back with our families. I even came home to a surprise! My guys had been busy building one of my dreams for our yard - a fire pit. We still have some mulch to spread, some weeds to kill, and some decorating to do (think "flowers"), but how AWESOME was it to come in and swing in a hammock under the trees?!?!?! LOVE MY GUYS!!


I hope you will all keep reading as the blog continues. I will be leading a team back to Peru in July to do some construction and (hopefully) a VBS. We might do some Bible studies, too. I'm going to keep posting as new things come along. If you feel that God is speaking to you about joining us in His work in Peru, please contact me. I can tell you more - LOTS MORE - and get you started with the application process. Most important - I hope that you continue to PRAY. We go for a short time and plant seeds. It is the prayers of the believers that support the growth of those seeds.

Now... I'm going to bed!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment