Saturday, August 10, 2013

Friday - Reunions, Babies, & Detours


If you can stick with me through this one, I'll break today's update into three distinct categories!

Reunions: This morning, we got to meet up with two of the missionaries that we work with here, Jenn Pennington and Jim Gilstrap. The awesome thing about these trips is working with them and the worst part is really never having enough time to spend with them. We also increased our crew by three "regulars"- Juan, Carmen, and Eva. Carmen, Eva, and I have a history of sleeping little and talking/giggling much on these trips. The three musketeers ride again!!
Jenn P. & Me



EVA!!
Babies: After a quick trip to the grocery store for supplies, we drove out to Ventanilla to spend the afternoon with the babies at Sagrada Familia orphanage. If this is your first time hearing about it, you can learn more here. We got there just in time to help feed them lunch and then play a little before nap time. I've included a few pictures. The little ones just flocked to our youngest team members - as you can see!



























Rubi!!

And here is my RUBI!! Look at how big and healthy and beautiful she is!! She smiled and giggled and played with me. Then she tore my heart up in a whole new way. More than once, as she tried to get my attention, she called me "Mami". Oh. My. Goodness. Now I realize that this is probably what they say to all adult women when seeking care, but when you have loved on and dreamed about and prayed for and DESIRED to be a particular child's mommy for two years… 
and then you hear the word from their mouth directed toward YOU. Took my breath away. We are going back on Thursday to love on them some more.

Detours: (for those of you still reading)


After leaving the orphanage, and a brief stop for lunch at our finalbathroom/gas station, we headed up the mountain to Canta. Did I mention that they are doing construction on the road to Canta? Let me tell you about it. What is normally a bumpy 3-4 hour drive is now a bone-jarring 5-6 hour ride. Unlike the States, where we tear up and repair one patch at a time, here they tear up the entire length of the road and repair a patch here and a patch there. Smooth pavement - dirt and rocks - packed dirt - smart car sized potholes. Then there are the detours. These forays include long stretches on what was always a donkey path…until now. Switchback curves with no visibility. Sheer drop-offs. Yeah… Advil is my friend. This is only a little problem, so I'm not really complaining. Well, a little… but it's just because the bumpiness is one of the few things that wears on my nerves. Ask prior team members. They know me! (Jon, Brian, Tucker, Teresa, Derek) When (if) it ever gets finished, it is going to become a VERY smooth and beautiful 2-3 hour drive, with TWO WHOLE LANES, drainage, and retaining walls.

Dinner at the new hotel tonight and then some much needed sleep. Tomorrow will begin our trek to the top of the mountain, as prepare to hold VBS in two villages. Pray for safe travels, health of our team members in this altitude, and relationships to be built with the villagers.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful update! We just stopped and prayed for you all. Great pictures! They speak a thousand words. Just seeing the girls with those children, I know they were thinking all the hard work to get there was worth it. God bless you guys.

    ReplyDelete